The City of Wills Point is a General Law, Type A City. Elections are held once a year, on the first Saturday in May. Two council positions are open in even-numbered years, three council positions and the mayoral position are open in odd-numbered years.
The next general election will be Saturday, May 4, 2024. The first day to file for a place on the ballot is January 17, 2024. The deadline for filing candidate applications is February 16, 2024, by 5:00 p.m. Candidate packets are available at City Hall from the City Secretary. Positions available for the May 4, 2024 General Election are one (1) Mayor for a 1-year unexpired term and two (2) City Council Members for 2-Year Full Terms.
Mike D. Jones
City Council Member
The 2025 Election will be May 3, 2025
The 2026 Election will be May 2, 2026
Qualifications: ( See also Section 141.001 Texas Election Code)
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
- Be a qualified voter for the City at the date of his or her election,
- A Mayor shall have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and within the City of Wills Point for twelve (12) months immediately preceding the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot;
- A Councilman shall have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and within the City of Wills Point for six (6) months immediately preceding the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot;
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court;
- Have not been convicted of a felony from which the candidate has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
Election Information Sites:
For an election calendar with relevant dates, please click here
Please click the links below for more information